Friday, May 2, 2014

Design 200

With the semester coming to an end, all my projects are coming together.  I went back to the basics and had to brush up on my drafting skills.  Once I blew off the dust, I got comfortable and I got creative.  Since these are my last projects, I didn't t hold anything back.  I let the creative juices flow and didn't hold back any imagination. It's hard to see my complete vision from just a black and white floor plan, but more is to come.

In my residential class we were given a blank floor plan and we had to design and furnish the entire house, focusing on a couple rooms and the kitchen.  My trip to High Point Market greatly helped focus my vision for the house.  I was able to create a great resource library with all the vendors and resources discovered at the market.  

Without looking at colors and furniture but just looking at the floor plan, I kept the plan open and organized. I love symmetry and right angles so for the most part the furniture is lined up and squared off. Later you will see how played with the layering of textures and materials.  I kept the interior warm and inviting with tones of grey.

The kitchen was a good challenge for me.  I found some clean lined and simple cabinets to use and the rest was a big puzzle to see what cabinets went were.
One thing I changed about the kitchen was opening up the window. One of my favorite things is to stand at the sink and stare out the window, makes washing dishes much more exciting.

For my commercial porject we were given a floor plan for a hotel. It was completely empty and we had to fill the space with all the appropriate spaces and areas.  Once I laid out the general flow and blocked out areas, I placed all the furniture, then the fun part, designing the floor pattern.  I love defining spaces with floor patterns.  It's a challenge to create something unique while not being too overwhelming.   Choice of material and color play a huge role in creating the perfect atmosphere.

I couldn't help myself.  In the restaurant I just had to create this great bar.  Inspired by industrial design I started with a brick wall to define the space of the bar.  Rod iron lays the grid work that is the shelving for all the bottles and glasses.  The bar is then surrounded with vertical planks of wood.
An overlay shows the bar stools, lighting and signage.
Still to come.. the rendering of all these floor plans and elevations.  Perspective drawings of a couple of areas to really give the complete feel when you walk into the space.  With colors and materials the spaces will come together and my point of view will be conveyed.  Stay tuned!

Be Inspired. Be Bold.

peace&love
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment