Saturday, August 9, 2014

Fun with Chevron.. Hand Painted

My dreams and goals coming out of the University of Delaware was to paint large murals in bold patterns.  Bold patterns that would sweep across the room.  It was only until halfway through this project that I realized my dream had been coming true.  An oversized chevron pattern in bold colors that wrapped around walls and into creases.  Something wallpaper can't do is be custom made to the environment. HandPainted is the way to go.

It has only been since I was paired with and working with the Green Owl Designers that I have been exposed to these bold ideas and given the opportunity to express myself on these vast wall space and do what I truly love.  I get great satisfaction completing these bold chevron patterns that make a bold statement in a room.  Something only some designers can pull off and convince the client into.  Thank you greatly to the Green Owl Designers!

I started off taping it off with string to see the tendencies of the angles of the chevron and started to measure off the heights of the chevron stripes. A lot of measurements and the use of a level were used. 
Once I figured out how the chevron worked and found the perfect sizing, I started taping off.
I filled in the second and fourth stripe, the top being the wall color. 
Two walls had the chevron pattern, one small wall with a window (shown above) and a long wall (shown below).
I then took off the tape, loving the crisp lines.
Now I taped off the middle/ third stripe.  I decided to vary the thicknesses of the stripes just minimally, making the yellow slightly smaller and the pink slightly larger.
Filling in and voila.
A bold vibrant statement.  Change up these colors to neutrals and you can tone down this bold statement but still have a great pattern.  Monochromatic neutrals in an ombré progression would look really nice.


I don't always use tape but when I do, it's to create awesome chevron patterns. 

Be Inspired. Be Bold.

peace&love
Rebecca 

No comments:

Post a Comment