Thursday, October 31, 2013

Placemat Production.. the Hem

When weaving placemats, all the placemats are woven on the same warp threads.  So no need to set up the loom for each mat.  To separate the mats, when you have reached the appropriate length, do a couple of tabby weaves then hem the edge.  It's easier to hem when the mats are still on the loom because of the tension.
Then weave in some spacers, the same thin strips of fabric I used when first starting weaving.  This spaces out each mat.  This would also act as the tassels when removed from the loom.  My placemat will not have tassels so the spacing is small.  I then start the next mat, hemming the first edge after a few rows are completed.
A look through to see the completed mat beneath.
The production line.. very productive.  
Once I get in the groove, my tempo picks up and the mats roll out.  My goal is to maximize my efficiency.

Be Bold in your Designs

peace&love
Rebecca



No comments:

Post a Comment