Saturday, December 14, 2013

Tis the Season to Decorate

Need some last minute decorating ideas?  Here are some simple ideas with objects already in your house!  And don't forget the gold spray paint!

For this holiday season I wanted to create a winter wonder land inside.  I picked  a color scheme of white, gold, silver and browns (with touches of green).  I had fun mixing colors and textures, shiny and rustic, living with dead (or dried).  Here is what I came up with..
 On this windowsill I mixed different floras, a green poinsettia (it had survived from last year!), a white poinsettia and some cacti with some freshly cut pine branches.  I kept the vases simple, clean and crisp by using tall glasses and a salsa jar wrapped in twine.  Go through your cabinets and find glasses of all shapes and sizes and start filling them with cut branches and flowers.
 At another window I followed with the same theme mixing succulents and a white poinsettia.  Here I filled a glass with small gold ornaments.  As you will see I went a little crazy filling jars and glasses with random objects, but its a fun way to get a pop of color into a room!
 Next to my white poinsettia I have two glasses filled with gold light bulbs.  I took the burnt out light bulbs from our outdoor lighting and sprayed them gold.  They also look nice unsprayed and you can mix and match depending on your color scheme.  Some years I do all red and others all white and sometimes all the colors!  I also have a square glass container filled with small pinecones that were sprayed gold and sprinkled with gold glitter.
 I'm loving my mantle this year.  It was one of the first of the decorations I put up and it acted as my inspiration for the rest of the decorations.  It is the mixing of natural and sparkly that I wanted to capture through out the house.  In every arrangement I tried to include a living green element with a gold, glittery, sparkly element.  And the conch shell just tops it off!
 I also went a little crazy with the garlands.  I used a lot of gold and silver garlands mixed with some hand made garlands.  Here I took the gold painted light bulbs and put some wire on them to make them into an ornament, then tied them to a piece of twine, and voila, a garland!  All these supplies I had lying around and almost anything can be made into a garland with some wire and string!
Don't forget to string some lights throughout the house.  On a snowy winters night, its nice to turn off all the lights, plug in all the strands of lights, and the perfect mood is set!  I also have pinecones scattered throughout the house.

I hope this sparked some inspiration for your holiday decorating.  It's the holidays, why not go big!

be Merry and Bright.
Be Bold in your Designs.

peace&love
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment