Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Savannah Apartment

After a long two day drive in a 16' truck and long days of packing and unpacking, I finally made it to Savannah.  There is something about this city that is so magical, whether it's the spanish moss hanging from the live oaks creating perfect canopies or the sprinkling of palms creating a tropical aura.  It's hot and humid and I love it!
I have been planning and prepping for this apartment for quite some time now and the time finally came when I got to put the plan into action!  As is with any project, once you get into the space everything changes and you have to adjust.
This is a Victorian style apartment with great bones and high ceilings.  The walls were freshly painted in a light cream so a neutral canvas for me to add to.  The first thing I added to the room was some life with my collection of plants.  I never travel anywhere with out them.  It's a great way to add a pop of color, texture and pattern.
All the elements I added were kept simple, sticking to neutral whites highlighted with tones of wood.  This sling back chair, created by my Father, fits perfectly in this room and topped with a sheep shin rug adding texture and fluffiness.

Shag rugs are my favorite, sandwiched between shades of wood.
I wanted to create little moments of interest, layering textures and items.  Coffee tables are a great place to have some fun with color and unique items.  A floral pattern handkerchief topped with shells, magazines and a scented candle.
My white couch, that I've had since my days in Delaware, works perfectly in this space.  A neutral canvas to add color and texture with the variety of pillows, all handcrafted and handsewn by me.
Into the bedroom I started with the perfect bed, a wood frame topped with a fluffy white comforter.
The crates that I spent so much time staining and varnishing at home, work perfectly as side tables.
Some small objects to top the side table.
A navajo rug is the first thing I step on when getting out of bed.  A nice neutral pattern to add a pop to the room.
Finally above my dresser, I layered peg boards, mirrors and pictures to create something fun and an interesting way to store and display my jewelry.  I'm excited to continue to organize and design my apartment.  Good design is alive and is always changing.  Keep it fresh and exciting.

Be Inspired. Be Bold.

peace&love
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment