Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shag meets Structure

As I develop my wall weave process, I have branched out into knotting shag directly onto the wall.  This process incorporates many techniques that when together create a dynamic piece with lots of interest.  I love going big and for this project I did not hold back.
Strips of reclaimed fabrics, all hand dyed to the perfect shade.  Some solids and some shibori.
Start of the shag.  A system of warp threads are strung vertically as a base for the knotting.  Then I just went to work, building up layers of textures and colors.


The wood for the frame.  I ripped the wood into 1" thick pieces and cut the angles to create unique triangles.
Painted a matte black.

The triangles being assembled.
Experimenting with a new plane in which to weave.  By stretching the string in the frame, a floating weave is created, bringing woven elements out into space.

The assembly and installation.
The final piece.  I love how this turned out.  This piece combined all of my loves, shag, weaving, knotting and woodworking.  This structure has many possibilities and I have much more to learn about how it works and interacts in the interior.  The possibilities of textured walls are endless.



Be Inspired. Be Bold.

peace&love
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment