Friday, March 13, 2015

to make a table.

This past quarter I took a furniture fabrication class.  It was the perfect opportunity to learn the proper tools and techniques for wood working.  Our assignment was to make a shaker table.  We were given a 6 foot board of rough wood and a set of plans.
The first step was to rough cut the boards down into workable lengths, making sure to plan it out so all the elements were accounted for, and planing them into smooth parallel boards.

The legs were cut and mortises drilled in.  The aprons were then cut with tenons.


A dovetail was chiseled in.

The glue up occurred in multiple stages.  No nails were used in the making of this table.

The drawer was then assembled to fit perfectly in the table.
The fun part came with the choice of stain and finish.  I had made an ebonizer which is a solution of steel wool, vinegar and water that sat for a couple of weeks.  When applied to the wood, the solution reacts with the tannins creating a deeper hue.  This application can be unpredictable to many tests were done to test the color and over time the table in general will darken.  I was interested in keeping the natural wood grain visible and deepening the hue slightly.  I finished it with a satin polyurethane.
The drawer front was another place to add some unique touches.  I used the laser cutter to engrave a basket weave, I had to get some fibers in there!, then topped it off with great stone handle.
I am very pleased with the outcome of the table.  I ran into a few glitches with the fitting of the drawer but overall the table is square and stands straight.  The color is so rich and beautiful and it fits perfectly in my little apartment!  I'm looking forward to incorporating more furniture elements into my fibers work.  Now the possibilities are endless.

Be Inspired. Be Bold.

peace&love

Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment