Sunday, September 29, 2013

Salsa Caliente.. DE LA TERRE

Take two of my experimentation with salsa making.  The first batch was a little sweet, now I'm going for hot.  Caliente ay ay ay. I also attempted to make a smaller batch, as I'm still in the experimental phase, if it turns out bad I won't have 6 jars if it.
I started with 3 tomatoes De La Terre (from my garden) and one bell pepper.
One onion.
Two hot perrers, one super hot pepper (on the left, brown in color, smoky in flavor) and one red jalapeƱo pepper. I took out most of he seeds but left a few.
One can (6 oz) tomato paste, a sprinkle of cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, and salt.
Less than 1/4 cup of brown sugar and white sugar combined.
Put it all in a pot with 6 oz of white vinegar.  Brought it to a boil and simmered it for one to two hours, until everything looked cooked and it got to the right thickness.

FYI peppers were so hot that when cooking you could feel the hotness in the air.  Definitely open windows and get some good ventilation.  
The final result, hot, smoky, and sweet.  I was worried that it would be too hot since my eyes were basically burning while it was cooking.  It has a nice kick while still being edible.  My next attempt will have no sugar, just mas caliente. 

Be Bold.

peace&love
Rebecca





No comments:

Post a Comment