Friday, December 12, 2014

to decorate a #BlackChristmas

This is always my favorite time of year.  It's a time when I can transform the house into a magical wonderland.  Adding sparkles into hidden corners and garlands and lights everywhere.  Every year is a opportunity for new color combinations and arrangements.  This year I chose an unconventional Christmas color, Black, and I had a lot of fun with it!
Almost as soon as Thanksgiving dinner is done and I am able to move again, I set out in search for the perfect tree.  It's not such a difficult task since my Grammy has the final remains of an x-mas tree farm on her property.  This year I searched for a rough and rustic tree.  I am getting tired seeing perfect trees everywhere and I wanted to give life to a Charlie Brown tree.
Some staples for my tree and the interior are lots and lots of tinsel.  I love to drape gold and silver, yes I mixed both together, all over the house.
I've always wanted to use a popcorn garland.  The matte look of the popcorn perfectly complements the shine of the tinsel and gives my tree the rustic feel I am going for.
I used three types of garlands, tinsel, beads and popcorn.  I draped them in swags, asymmetrically yet balanced around the tree.
This is where I had a lot of fun with the spray paint, black ornaments.  I took some old ornaments and burnt out light bulbs and sprayed them in high gloss and stain finishes.  
The black ornaments add a nice contrast to all the bright lights and gold ornaments.  My trees always has at least three different sizes of lights to add an extra twinkle.  My secret is to wrap a strand around the trunk of the tree to add a twinkle from within.
My new favorite thing is black and gold shells.  They make a surprising and classy arrangement in a glass bowl or use them to class up your presents.
As a quick and simple decoration I gather all of my glass vases and glasses and fill them with the leftover ornaments and lightbulbs.  Depending on your color scheme and theme, you can fill these containers with almost anything!
As always, don't forget the gift tags.  These simple gift tags are perfect on any present!

Be Inspired. Be Bold. and Spread Holiday Cheer

peace&love
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment