Monday, July 15, 2013

BlackMagnolia.. Textile Experimentation

The inspiration for today was to experiment with printing then dyeing.  I took my BlackMagnolia pattern and printed it on three different fabrics in a shimmery charcoal ink.


I then soaked each fabric in a black Ritz dye.  


The result was a black fabric with a shimmer of a leaf pattern.  I am still experimenting with the levels of the dyes and the colors of ink.  I may try a black ink with a charcoal grey dye. 


I enjoy the darkness of the fabric and its subtle nature.  
Lets see what happens when it dries.


The dye faded slightly when it dried.  I love the vintage effect the hand dyeing does to the fabric.  The leaves really stand out and they really stand out in different lights.
I love the idea that you cannot always see the pattern.  Its somewhat magical how the patterns go in and out, disappearing and reappearing.

Stay tuned for more experimentation with fabrics, dyes, and patterns.  And check out the ZerbyShopto see what these fabrics turn into!  I would love to hear what you think.  

Email me at rebeccazerby@gmail.com or leave a comment below.

Be Bold.

peace & love
Rebecca








No comments:

Post a Comment