Wednesday, July 24, 2013

the Productive Print Shop

To run a successful and productive print shop you must be organized and efficient.  It it much like the efficient painter.  The same principles apply, always be doing something.  The purpose of printing is to make multiples.  Its so much fun to, once you get in the groove, to start whipping out prints.  I feel like I am a mini factory line.

I recently got commissioned for a large shirt order.  As you can see below the tall stack of shirts in all different color and sizes.  I knew this would be a challenging order but I was up for the challenge.  If you don't push yourself out of your comfort zone, you will never know what you are capable of.  


This order was for a logo for a crab shack.  In this logo is 6 different colors which translates to 6 different layers (in printmakers talk).  I had to sit down and really plan it out.  First breaking the image down into each color then determining the order in which to print.  Colors in the back are printed first and I ended with the black outline to tie it all together.


There is a method to the madness when printing.  I have a very small area in which I print and a big concern of mine was where to put all the shirts to dry.  After printing the layer I would fold the shirt so only the wet image was exposed, then lined them up as close to each other as possible, conserving as much space as possible.  Then I would pickup the next shirt and repeat.


The summer before my senior year at the University of Delaware, I did an internship with Lou Stovall.  He is a Master Printer located in Washington D.C.  He had a silkscreen studio in his garage where he created the most amazing prints I had ever seen.  So many colors and layers, it was mesmerizing.  He was also a great mentor and taught me the skills and techniques to be a great printer.  He would say that printing is a dance, move through your space in the least amount of steps necessary.  Everything is organized and in reach, act quickly and adapt to fix your mistakes. 


Its so rewarding when the final layer is printed and the whole image transforms in front of you.  Printing is a lot of work and takes time and patience to make sure everything is registered properly.  To see this great final product makes it all worth it!


Have a design of your own you would like printed?  I would love to work with you to create the perfect shirt.  Contact me at rebeccazerby@gmail.com

Also check out some of  my other custom shirts at www.rebeccazerby.com.  The ZerbyShop on Etsy has fun elephant and giraffe tanks ready to order!

Be Bold

peace & love
Rebecca



No comments:

Post a Comment