Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Woodys.. The Source of my Inspiration


This is the book that started it all.  It is from a Woodys class I took at the University of Delaware.  It was the hardest class I have ever taken but I got so much from it, and I'm still learning!  I took this class in spring semester and we would go out into the field and be quizzed on what the trees were.  It was particular hard in the early months before all the trees got their leaves.  To my advantage, I used my drawing skills to make flash cards and help me memorize the hundreds of trees which we would be tested on.



Still to this day I use this book as a reference, not only for my garden, but for all my paintings and murals.  I try to be correct in the horticulture sense using all scientific names to the atomically correct drawings of leaves.


My favorite tree is a Magnolia.  In this family there is a wide range of species that are all different and unique in their own way.  Its the variety that I find interesting coming from an artist point if view.  I can create paintings that only have magnolia leaves and it will have contrast and diversity while still being cohesive.  


Below is the Magnolia grandiflora.  It is the most recognizable of the Magnolias being the only one that is evergreen.  It has the big dark shinny leaves and the big white flowers in the summer.  This is my dream tree.  I am currently working on a painting with only Magnolia grandiflora leaves.  I will then take that painting and use it as inspiration for patterns for fabric and murals.  Stay tuned!


I would like to thank my Woodys and Herbaceous teachers from Delaware.  It was the toughest classes I have ever taken but I am still using that information today and continuing to grow my horticultural library of information. 

Check out some of my previous paintings inspired by my Woodys knowledge under the painting page at rebeccazerby.com/paint.  As always feel free to contact me atrebeccazerby@gmail.com or leave a comment below.  Stay tuned to see the finished painting!

peace & love
Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment